...the light to the people

Police Invitation, A Plot To Prevent Me From Dumping APC – Saraki Reacts Over Another Police Invitation

345

President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, has reacted to the second invitation to him by the Nigeria Police to report to a station over the armed robbery in Offa, Kwara State.

The Nigeria Police Force has again on Monday, invited the Senate President, Bukola Saraki to report to the Head of investigation team, Inspector-General of Police Response Team (IRT) on Tuesday, July 24 at 8 a.m. in Guzape, Abuja.
A statement signed by the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, on Monday in Abuja, said that the invitation was aimed at making further clarification on the matter.
 
“In your response to the above allegations, you stated ” by virtue of my participation in politics, I have a large followership which makes it impossible for me to know all of them.
 
“For the records, your letter under reference did not include the full text of the statements made by the accused persons.
 
“After a careful perusal of your letter to the Police, it was discovered that the statement requires further clarification and coupled with the fact that you stated that the full text of the statements of the suspects were not shown to you.
 
“It is imperative you report to the Police to make further statements after giving you the full text of the statements of the suspects.
 
“It is in line with the above that you are requested to report to the head of the Investigation Team at the Intelligence Response Team’ at Guzape, Abuja,” he said.
In a swift response to the invitation by the Police, Saraki described the invitation to report to a station in Guzape over their investigation of the armed robbery in Offa, Kwara State, as “a mere afterthought which is designed to achieve political purpose.”
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, he said he had it on good authority that the police had already decided on the suspects to arraign in court in Ilorin, Kwara State, on Wednesday based on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecution, U. E. Mohammed.
The statement read: “I have been reliably informed that the police invitation was planned by the IG as a ploy to stop an alleged plan by some Senators and House of Representatives members from defecting from the All Progressives Congress (APC). It was also said that if I was detained between Tuesday and Wednesday, that will abort the so-called defection plan.
 
“While I continue to maintain that the issue of my position on the 2019 elections is not a personal decision for me alone to make, it should be noted that all these concoctions and evil plots cannot deter me. Those behind this fresh assault will fail as I have nothing to do with the robbery incident or any criminal matter for that matter.
 
“I am aware that following a request made by the Police on June 13, 2018 to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) of the Federation had written a legal advice dated June 22, 2018, in which he stated on page 5, paragraph (f) that “For the Senate President and the Kwara State Governor, this office is unable to establish from the evidence in the interim report a nexus between the alleged office and the suspects.”
 
“The Police have obviously corrupted and politicized their investigations into the Offa robbery incident. They have turned it into an instrument for the party in power to suppress perceived opponents, witch hunt issue for blackmailing people from freely choosing which platform on which they want to pursue their ambitions and a matter for harassing the people whose exit from APC would harm the chances of the party in the forthcoming elections.
 
“I want to make it apparent that I have no hand in either the robbery incident or any criminal acitivity. The Police in their haste to embarrass me sent the invitation to me at 8pm and requested that I report to the station by 8am tomorrow morning. This obviously demonstrated their desperation as I do not see why they are now in a hurry.
 
“They also stated in today’s letter that because in my response of June 7, 2018 to their own letter written on June 4, 2018, I stated that I was responding simply to the contents of the letter and that the full text of the statement made by the arrested suspects which they claimed indicted me was not made available to me, they were now including the suspects statements in the current letter. Yet, instead of including the suspects’ statements, they only attached two copies of my own letter to the invitation. No suspects statement was made available.
 
“This plot aimed at compelling me and my associates to stay in a party where members are criminalised without just cause, where injustice is perpetrated at the highest level and where there is no respect for constitutionalism is an exercise in futility and it will fail.
 
“Once again, my confidence in God and our judicial system remains intact and unshaken. The truth shall also prevail in this case.

Share this post on social media

Comments
WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Loading...